Print Friendly and PDF

Thursday, October 4, 2012

New Stuff ...

So my weekly produce delivery (from Door to Door Organics) arrived with a few new items that I've never tried! Always fun (for me!) to try new things.

First, Kiwi Berries! I've never had them, but was excited to try them whatever they were. Apparently they have more nicknames than seeds, and aside from looks and taste (which is pretty significant if you ask me) aren't a kiwi at all. Just a similar looking berry, and I will say similar tasting too. Most of them went with my 1st grader to school as her healthy snack, but I did manage to try a few before they were gone and would certainly try them again!


Next, rainbow carrots! I have yet to cook them, but will be sure to let you know how they come out. I think they look pretty neat, and as someone who likes to present food well, even if they taste the same, it makes for a nice presentation! I will let you know for sure, and I even plan to have my wife help me with a blind taste test so I can subjectively report back! :)


Finally, there were a couple new squash that came in the box. They both look the same with respect to color, but the long one was called a delicata squash, and the other was called a sweet dumpling squash. While the name delicata sounds awfully familiar, I clearly have not had anything that had this color pattern, but hey, it's a squash! :)


The squash however became one of the 4 meals we made for Rebekah that day to freeze, so while I got a taste (and it was good, not as sweet as a butternut, more like an acorn) it was all for her, and she wanted to help make it too! :)
 
Roasted in the oven in a water bath, and scooped out into the ice cube trays for easy serving sizes! =)
 
 
 
So all in all a fun delivery with a few new items! Have you ever tried any of these? I would love to hear your feedback! :)

~Matt
 

No comments:

Post a Comment