Print Friendly and PDF

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Wasabi & Maple Chicken ... with Bacon!

Everything is better with bacon right? Reminded me of this meme ... Ha! :)
 
 
So I was thinking of a camping trip I took with my girls and the food I had. My friend took pork tenderloin and marinated it in a wasabi sauce, and then grilled it. It was delicious! So I thought I'd try to go for my own version with what I had in the house.
 
I simply took some chicken breast, chunked it up into about 2" squares, and soaked it for a few hours in a marinade of wasabi, pure maple syrup, soy sauce, and olive oil. Make it to your taste, especially with the wasabi, but not to worry because the heat form the wasabi won't transfer as much as you think. Also, use honey if you don't have the maple syrup, I just thought it would go well, especially with the bacon.
 
Once marinated, I took each piece of chicken and wrapped it in a slice of thick cut bacon. Not only simply because bacon is awesome, but it would help keep the chicken breast moist since it was skinless (oh, I didn't say that) :)
 
 
I put it on a cooling rack and placed it on a baking sheet to keep it from sitting it it's own oil, and put it in at 375 (with the fan) until golden brown (about 30 minutes).
 
 
They came out very good, the marinade was great, and the bacon did indeed keep it moist. If I had to do it over again, I'd bump up the temp to about 425 to get the bacon extra crispy without overcooking the chicken. I served it with a nice antipasto salad and was good to go!
 
 
Make again? Absolutely! I just plan to kick up the temp as I mentioned but certainly worth trying out yourself ...
 
Hungry,
~Matt




No comments:

Post a Comment