Print Friendly and PDF

Monday, October 8, 2012

Rainbow Pork?

OK, well not quite rainbow pork, but I did have those rainbow carrots, some red cabbage, a pineapple, and a pork tenderloin on hand (oh, and some bacon!). I thought about doing a kabob, but since I couldn't find my kabob skewers (and my rosemary is gone), that idea ended quickly!

I started about by prepping the carrots for roasting. I wanted them to roast evenly so for most of them I cut in half, and then took the thick end and halved that. Some olive oil, salt, pepper, is all I wanted as I really wanted to taste the carrot as I've never had these before. I left some of the greens on because they looked nicer and the tops are actually quite yummy!

 
 
Next I used a half of a head of red cabbage chopped roughly, with a diced yellow onion and set it aside ... fast forwarding ahead, Sabina (my 6 year old) said she loved the cabbage!


Next, my wife had already cut up some pineapple, so I took that pork tenderloin, butterflied it a bit, and rolled the pineapple inside it (and then tied it up with some twine). The pork was actually a store bought pre-marinated tenderloin so that made things a bit easier.

Then I just got a nice browning on the pork, and threw it in a 375 degree oven until it was cooked through.

 
Once the pork was about done, I rendered a couple slices of bacon in a skillet, cooked the onions down, and then the cabbage until soft (but not mushy). That took about 10 minutes. Once done cooking I drizzled in some real nice balsamic vinegar (about 3 Tablespoons) and tossed the cabbage mixture to coat it.
 
Finally, I just took the cabbage, laid it down on the platter, with the roasted pineapple pork, and carrots and brought it all to serve! Colorful and Delicious!
 
It was another meal worth a repeat, though the way I randomly cook it may be 3 years down the road! However, the carrots are a keeper. They looked beautiful, and we all could tell the difference in the carrots! The red ones were the sweetest by far! Clearly these roasted rainbow carrots are a great side to bring at a gathering! Enjoy!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment