Print Friendly and PDF

Friday, November 2, 2012

Kale Chips


In the last few weeks, I think about 6 people mentioned Kale Chips! I finally had to try them out myself. There seem to be multiple methods to cooking them but I decided to try this and they came out great! First of all, I decided to try this out with some baby kale I got from Organic Girl. Trimmed, washed, and ready to go just made this 'trial job' a lot easier. (If you plan to use regular kale on the stalk, just rip the leaves off, chop them into large sizes, and use the same method, but you may need to adjust the cooking time).

 
My wife also heard Rachel Ray mention that she liked using fresh grated nutmeg so I thought I'd give it a whirl too.
 
 
So to get started, get your oven up to 300 degrees.
 
Meanwhile, take the kale (I used 6 cups of baby kale) and toss them with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1/4t salt, and some grated nutmeg until nice and coated. Then I spread them out on a cookie sheet with a cooling rack on it (to keep them off the bottom in order to cook/dry more evenly)
 

At 300 (with the convection fan on) it took about 30 minutes. I have seen other recipes broil them, and while likely quicker, I think 300 is great as it is very forgiving with regards to timing. I checked them after 30 minutes and they still needed a bit more (of course this depends on the type, amount, etc.) so I put them in for another 5-10 minutes. At 300 I wasn't too concerned about them quickly burning on me, so I may continue to use this method.
 
Once they are dry and crispy to the touch, you can take them out and they should look something like this.
 
 
They easily slide right off and you can set them in a bowl and start munching! I would recommend you put them in an airtight container and keep for a few days, but I doubt they will make it an hour! :) Enjoy!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment